FDA approves actinic keratosis treatment

Leo Pharma's Picato gel approved

PARSIPPANY, N.J. — The Food and Drug Administration has approved a topical treatment made by Leo Pharma for a skin condition that can lead to cancer, the drug maker said Wednesday.

Leo announced the FDA approval of Picato (ingenol mebutate) gel in the 0.015%/0.05% strength for actinic keratosis, also known as AK, which is a precancerous condition resulting from cumulative sun exposure that has the potential to lead to squamous cell carcinoma.

"Since there is no way to predict which actinic keratosis will advance to skin cancer, early detection and treatment of lesions are critical," said Mark Lebwohl of the Department of Dermatology at New York's Mount Sinai Medical Center and an investigator of a late-stage clinical trial of the drug. "What makes this new solution particularly exciting is the two- or three-day course of treatment."

According to the American Academy of Dermatology, 1-in-5 Americans will develop skin cancer in their lifetimes, and studies have shown that about 65% of cases of squamous cell carcinoma begin as untreated actinic keratosis.

Interested in this topic? Sign up for our weekly DSN Collaborative Care e-newsletter.

Comments

- 1:33 AM
alfred almond says

The sun isn't the only thing that causes actinic keratosis.Facial laser treatments such as laser resurfacing and just about any other laser treatment will cause this. The heat from these lasers is more stronger than the sun and will cause extensive damage far below the surface of the skin.I think FDA had to tasted this before approved it.

- 7:03 AM
hadwin patrise says

Yeah.. I thought it was another acne scam medication but when my friend tried it. It really did worked.. In just less than 2weeks, he can barely see good result.. -hadwin patrise

- 2:09 AM
irvine lampson says

As FDA approved actinic keratosis treatment then it would be better on skin condition and also helpful in preventing skin cancer. Regards, Irvine

- 7:10 AM
jay11 says

Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!. Happy Wheels

- 3:26 PM
kajol khan says

silicone halloween masks for sale I really appreciate your post.It gives an outstanding idea that is very helpful for all the people on the web. Thanks for sharing this information and I'll love to read your next post too.

- 1:58 PM
kajol khan says

The way the post describe the whole thing is interesting. following the information the writing was coherent.the information will help me a lot also.folding guest beds

- 12:54 PM
Mreilly06 says

I agree- lasers do not sound like a good way to treat sun related problems. But I could be wrong. Austin homes

- 4:39 AM
Rihin789 says

Valuable in order and superb design you got at this juncture! I would like to thank you in favor of sharing your belief and point in time into the stuff you place of duty!! truck value

- 10:53 AM
mukter says

Thanks for some other informative website. The place else may I am getting that kind of info written in such a perfect method? I have a challenge that I am just now operating on,and I’ve been on the look out for such info.dwi lawyer new braunfels

- 5:20 AM
Soniya Murmu says

A creamy avocado makes a surprise appearance in this sweet breakfast beverage. At just 249 calories per serving, this smoothie will give you the energy you need to start the day without a calorie overload. Phoenix food delivery

Login or Register to post a comment.