- Salix Pharmaceuticals introduces Rx topical foam to treat a form of inflammatory bowel disease
- Ferndale Healthcare partners with Colon Cancer Alliance
- Report: Specialty pharmacy to account for half of all prescription revenue by 2018
- ROUNDTABLE: Pharmacy’s future in sync with technology
- Takeda starts phase-3 trials of vedolizumab
PHILADELPHIA — The Undy 5000 5K Run/Walk, presented by Dulcolax, returned here for the fifth consecutive year to help raise funds for colon cancer research. Almost 1,000 participants ran in their underwear as a tongue-in-cheek reference to the area affected by colon cancer, raising $120,000 for Colon Cancer community programs.
The Philadelphia Undy 5000 featured the Colon Cancer Alliance’s Inflatable Colon; a giant, walk-through colon that shows the various stages of colon cancer, including descriptions about Crohn’s disease and Colitis.
The Undy 5000 will be held in 16 cities across the country this year to educate the public about colon cancer, promote screenings and encourage people to talk about the disease. Instead of raceday T-shirts, all registered participants receive a commemorative pair of Undy 5000 boxers. It is a family-friendly event open to all ages, and in addition to the 5K, there is a 1-mile fun run. CCA hosts the event.
Shop Rite stores joined Boehringer-Ingelheim, which owns the Dulcolax brand, and the CCA to promote the race and raise awareness around colon cancer. Shop Rite also offered specially marked Dulcolax boxes, containing information about the importance of getting screened for colon cancer.