- Todd Vasos named Dollar General COO; former Duane Reade exec joins Dollar General executive team
- Category management veteran Mike Cirilli joins L&R Distributors
- 15th annual NACDS Foundation Dinner raises more than $1.8M
- Walgreens launches exclusive beauty publication 'Discover Beauty Within'
- Albertson's LLC opens pharmacy inside California hospital
A fresh new vision has come into view at Duane Reade as the Walgreens-owned retailer expanded its fresh food and grocery offerings. In its Union Square store in Manhattan, shown here, consumers are greeted by an expansive food offering that includes an island of such on-the-go meals as oatmeal, sushi, sandwiches and salads; baked goods with a self-service coffee bar; and an array of frozen foods. The concept also prominently features the store-brand DR Delish line of premium snacks and beverages.
The chain continues to fine-tune its selection more in line with the identity and local needs of many of its New York City neighborhoods. For example, a draft beer selection, complete with growlers, was the point of difference in two new Duane Reade stores, including one in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and another on the Upper West Side. Another store in Chelsea offers fresh-cut fruit, baked goods and self-serve Starbucks coffee, as well as more than 500 SKUs of frozen convenience items.