- Costco posts strong comps, total sales in June
- Bloomberg: Greg Wasson joins thought leaders to discuss the state of health care in the United States
- Costco highlights craft brewers
- Costco sales, profits increase in Q4
- Walgreens expanding scope of retail pharmacy experience and services heading into fiscal 2014
ISSAQUAH, Wash. — Costco Wholesale Corp.'s sales grew 7% in April over April 2012, the club retailer said Thursday.
Costco reported sales of $7.98 billion for the four weeks that ended Sunday, compared with $7.48 billion during the same period last year. Sales for the 35-week period that ended Sunday were $69 billion, 9% higher than the $63.59 billion recorded last year.
Sales in the United States at continuously open stores since last April increased by 4%, while same-store sales for the 35 weeks that ended Sunday increased 6%.
The results, while positive, were relatively low compared with financial analysts' expectations. In a note to investors Thursday, Citi analyst Deborah Weinswig noted that the 4% increase in same-store sales were "at the low-end" of Citi's forecast of 4-6% growth and below an overall consensus of 4.9% growth, while they also took a 2% hit from external factors like gas prices and currency exchange rates. Weinswig wrote that sales were expected to remain slow this month due to unfavorable weather conditions.
Like this story? Find us on Facebook for more insight, analysis and the latest in drug store news. Join the conversation.