- Walgreens expanding scope of retail pharmacy experience and services heading into fiscal 2014
- Walgreens firing on all cylinders as chain realizes a total comp sales increase of 5.4% for its first quarter
- Todd Vasos named Dollar General COO; former Duane Reade exec joins Dollar General executive team
- Bloomberg: Greg Wasson joins thought leaders to discuss the state of health care in the United States
- GSK, Walgreens launch Sponsorship to Quit, a free online quit-smoking program
NEW YORK — Duane Reade scored marketing gold as Manhattan fans of Celebrity Apprentice fanned out to vote for one of the two finalists Sunday — Las Vegas headliner Penn Jillette and country star Trace Adkins — by purchasing one of two exclusive flavors of Walgreens' DeLish ice cream.
Setting up the Celebrity Apprentice finale, which airs May 19 the two teams produced several celebrity-laden commercials promoting each flavor. On team Penn, celebrities included LaToya Jackson, Lisa Rinna and Dennis Rodman. Penn's team created a vanilla-based ice cream with chocoloate swirls and turtles, which they dubbed "Magic Swurtle."
Photo courtesy Denise Truscello
Former celebrity contestants Marilu Henner, Gary Busey and Lil' Jon helped out on team Trace. Their ice cream is a maple macadamia "mash-up" over red velvet.
Walgreens late Monday announced the chain would donate $10,000 to the charity of the fan favorite. People who buy Jillette's "Magic Swurtle" will help direct that donation toward Opportunity Village. The American Red Cross will be the beneficiary if team Trace's ice cream flavor wins.
"Once again we are thrilled to be a part of 'The Celebrity Apprentice' and look forward to sharing the finalists' Good & DeLish premium ice cream flavors with our customers nationwide," stated Bryan Pugh, VP merchandising, store design and well experience at Walgreens.
Since Sunday's episode, Duane Reade has been re-tweeting customer choices on its Twitter feed.
For the full episode from NBC, click here.
This story has been updated to include Walgreens' statement.
Like this story? Find us on Facebook for more insight, analysis and the latest in drug store news. Join the conversation.