- ROUNDTABLE: Pharmacy’s future in sync with technology
- NACDS RxImpact shines spotlight on pharmacists' increasing role in delivery of healthcare services
- Coalition of healthcare industry stakeholders address best practices regarding controlled substances
- Study from NCPA sheds new light on med synchronization programs
- Study: POC testing for infectious diseases could spell opportunity for community pharmacy
PHOENIX — Avella Specialty Pharmacy has released a new white paper for payers selecting new specialty pharmacy partners, the company said Wednesday.
Avella announced the release of Guide to Selecting the Appropriate Specialty Pharmacy: 10 Elements a Payor Should Consider in the Decision Process. "Payor" is a spelling commonly used within the industry, though Drug Store News uses the spelling "payer." Specialty drugs will account for about 40% of a health plan's drug spending by 2020, according to research by the Kaiser Family Foundation.
The 10 factors include the ability to provide access to limited distribution drugs and the ability to provide comprehensive, quality clinical services to patients, as well as insights on the importance of data management reporting and waste containment.
"The specialty pharmacy is an integral aspect of the healthcare system," Avella VP of managed markets Kevin James said. "It is important for payers to work with someone who really understands the specialty drug environment and can offer solutions to address the unique cost and adherence challenges associated with specialty drugs. Specialty pharmacy partnership results in lower costs and better patient care throughout the course of treatment."